Cards created this year to send to our Nation's Heros....24

Monday, April 2, 2012

Mom's birthday card




Here is a card I made for my mom’s birthday.  When you have a card maker in your family, the card you make for them is a bit daunting.  So I employed Google!  This card uses the Stampin UP Nature Walk set, which is my favorite du jour, for sure.
As with most easel cards the top portion is scored halfway – at three inches here.  And the card base is only applied to that lower third.  The designer paper is from SU and made a good base.  The next layer is a bit of my own design.  I used the bee, bird cage and flower from the stamp set.  I stamped each one randomly on the cream card stock.  To make it feel more designer paper – ish, after each set, i.e. I stamped all the bird cages with versa mark then brushed on a shade of perfect pearls.  Next I stamped the bees and brushed a second color of PP, finally the sprig that I covered with an olive green PP.  To set it I used a liberal spray of Smooch spray.  To finish it off I added some Tim Holtz tea dye to the edges.  I just hated to cover it all up, it was so cute!
The bird is embossed and stamped in green on a scrip background that also got some tea dye to the edges.  That is layered on the reverse side of the base DP.  A nice big satin ribbon helped ground that deliberately off center bird.  One pretty gold flower from Karla’s Etsy trim and a great smooth stone added to the center.  I don’t often get to use my big lush ribbon roses on cards, but since this one doesn’t have to go through the mail- I thought this was just the perfect finish to the bottom of this card.
Since easel cards show off the inside, I decided to bling it up.  My mom loves sparkly, what better card stopper than that thick shiny embellie from Michael’s?  The sentiment is stamped on cream with some Tea Dye, layered on chocolate chip, layered on a generous portion of white core paper.  I love to use that paper in an embossing folder and then run the emery board to show some of the white.  Of course, a bit more gold bling on the sentiment so it didn’t look so lonely.  All of that topped on a pearly finished green with some corner detail.


2 comments:

  1. What a work of art. It's so fun to make cards that won't be mailed so we don't have to worry about the postal service ruining our work and we can make things as lumpy as we like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a lovely card! Great job. Thanks for sharing. Maybe one day I'll try one of those easel cards. :)

    ReplyDelete