Friday, September 30, 2011
National Card Making Day Blog Hop
Operation Write Home asked that we share a short note about why we make these cards and support this effort to send blank greeting cards to our deployed service members. Short and Sweet I usually can do – but this time it was really difficult. This cause means a lot to me and makes me feel really good and I tried about 10 times to write something suitable. Each effort got so long it seemed to need chapters.
SO… in true Katie fashion, I have made a list:
Why I spend so many hours, most of my mad money, and have dedicated a whole room in my home to card making:
• My daughter and her husband are both active duty. While state side today, I respect how fragile military marriages are and the need to say I love you, I miss you is far greater for these couples
• As a mother I can relate to the need to see the hand writing of their child, no matter how old. I still have the hand written letters my daughter and brother sent to me from boot camp.
• I come from a long line of proud service members and have a deep and profound respect for the sacrifices they and their families make for us. It isn’t about the politics, I don’t care why they are there. I am grateful they made a choice to put themselves in harm’s way for a flag we all wave.
• The Welcome Home videos of children with their chubby arms wrapped around the neck of a Daddy they haven’t seen in far too long – deserve a communication they can touch, put under a pillow, and pull out as a comfort… til they get their hug in person, too.
• Here is the just for me selfish list:
• I love trying out new techniques or styles and being able to send them on means I am by definition NOT a hoarder!!
• My children have both left me alone in my empty nest with lots of time on my hands. Idle hands and me have never been a good combination, I like to be busy.
• Last, but by no means least, my mother introduced me to this amazing group of talented women. It is a hobby and an interest we share. I value the far too rare opportunities we have sit across a table together elbow deep in ribbons, bling and A2 envelopes.
Hope I made this short enough. Thanks for stopping by my blog and enjoy your hop!!